GOOGLE MY BUSINESS: THE 5 KEY BENEFITS EVERY SMALL BUSINESS SHOULD KNOW
What is Google My Business?
Very simply, Google My Business is a powerful tool that lets you manage how your business listing appears across Google – either in search results or maps. Crucially for small companies, Google My Business is geared towards local searches, i.e. to capitalise on the millions of people every day who search for a business or service near to them.
According to Google, approximately 50% of people who search for a business online will go on to visit it the same day. Which is why, if you sell a service or product that relies on local custom, you simply cannot afford to miss advertising directly in your local area.
What’s the catch?
There isn’t one. Truthfully, there is absolutely no reason why any small business would not have a Google My Business listing.
What are the 5 key benefits of Google My Business?
- It’s completely FREE. The only ‘cost’ to you will be your time as it’s vital that your Google My Business listing is correct, complete and fully optimsed. You will need to set some time aside to do it properly, but it’s certainly worth it.
- You’re on the Map! As it’s a Google tool, your business listing will pin-point your location on Google Maps, so customers will be able to see precisely where you are located. On the flip side, you can also hide this information if your business address isn’t customer facing i.e. you’re not a shop/restaurant etc.
- You’re in control. It is YOUR business listing, so you are free to update it whenever you need to. Changing your opening hours for Christmas? Update it on your listing. Want to promote an offer? Include it in your listing which, by the way, can also include photos. Just so long as you keep the information useful, relevant and most importantly, up to date.
- All the DATA! Within your Google My Business account you will have access to the Insights tab, where you can view analytics on visibility (number of views to your profile, photos and posts) engagement (likes and comments on your listing) and audience (demographics of who has been viewing and clicking through – invaluable insights about your customer base.
You can also view more in-depth statistics on traffic and audience to your business website in the Analytics tab.
- Engagement with your customers. As well as providing analytics on your customer base, Google My Business also allows your customers to leave reviews on your listing, which you then have the ability to respond to. This function can be daunting as every business dreads a bad review, but as long as the response is professional, it won’t be a problem. Actively encouraging good reviews from your happy customers will heavily influence your future customers in their buying decisions.
In short, if you want to increase your chances of customers finding your business on Google search, you absolutely must have a Google My Business listing. It’s an easy to use, powerful marketing opportunity, that allows small businesses to generate targeted website traffic and build a loyal, local customer base. And did we say it’s free?
At Freelance Marketer, we can help you set up your profile and listing as part of our Digital Marketing packages. Get in touch to find out more.
- Week 7: Website Essentials
- Week 6: Branding Basics
- Week 5: Creating A Small Business Marketing Plan
- Week 4: How – How Do I Find And Reach My Target Customers?
- WEEK 3: Why Are You Doing This – What are your goals?
- Week 2: What Is Your Product?
- Week 1: Who Are Your Clients?
- Introduction To Our 12-Week Marketing Health Check: Overhaul Your Small Business Marketing For 2020
- Overhaul Your Marketing In 2020: The 12-Week Program To Get Your Small Business Marketing Back On Track
- Growing Your LinkedIn Following For Business
- Outsourcing Your Social Media